Thursday, February 7, 2013

Special Blog Post #1

WolframAlpha
When I searched "Compare populations of India, China, and United States" on WolframAlpha, I found some interesting facts. India and China have a tremendous population compared to the United States. The US has a little bit longer life expectancy but in numbers we have no chance of catching up. The United States would have to triple in population to even come close to the numbers in India and China. I search several other populations to see which ones were the closest. I searched Australia, Africa, South America and Canada. I found that South America has the closest population to the United States. When using this search engine I discovered many charts and graphs that could help me understand the difference between every population I compared against the United States. I also did some random searches on how many teeth are in the human mouth and how many teeth are in a shark's mouth. Instead of pulling up a bunch of sites that might have the answers, it told me exactly what I wanted to know.
I think this site can be very helpful to students. It makes things very easy to understand. When you type something into this search engine it takes your straight to the answer. If you type in a question it does not show you hundreds of sites that may have something to do with teeth, stories about teeth, videos or pictures of teeth. It only gives you the answer to the question you needed. I also think this site is good because it is less distracting to someone using it. When you use other search engines you can easily get distracted by all the different sights that pop up. When using this you don’t have to wonder around on many different sights to find what you are looking for.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count
When I visited Gary Hayes Social Media Count I did not recognize what I was seeing at first. When I began reading all of the types of social media and watching the numbers continued to rise with extraordinary speed, I was amazed. I did not realize how much social media was used in a matter of just one second. I came to a shocking revelation after watching for a couple minutes. Technology in this world will only continue to become more and more a part of our lives. It will continue to grow and get more
As teachers, we have to follow the flow of technology so we can keep up with what is going on with the younger generations. We have to know how to catch their attention on their level. If we continue in the ways of teaching that we are now, we will never be able to grab their attention. Social media is so much a part of their lives and it will continue to be. As the years go on the social network will grow bigger and we have to be prepared to find ways to use it to our advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment