Saturday, March 30, 2013

Blog Post #10


John T. Spencer
This cartoon, created by John Spencer, is really about PCs and MACs. Of course, the old man has the PC and the younger man has the MAC. I know PC is cheaper computers which means they might have to be mixed more often. Is it really cheaper when you have to pay to get it fixed all the time? Is an extra couple hundred dollars worth getting a nicer computer? MACs are more expensive because they are a nicer and better computer. MACs have so many extra tools and things that can be used on them. APPLE is always improving all of their products and they will continue to add to what you can already do on a MAC, so they will only continue to get better. I own a PC and paid for it myself, so I know they are cheaper than other nicer computers. Thankfully I do not have a lot of problems with mine but I know it is more likely to have problem because it is not as nice of a quality as a MAC. Although MACs are more expensive, they are worth the extra money you spend on them. I wish I would have gotten a MAC instead of my PC but I will have a one eventually.

Why were your kids playing games?
In Mr. Spencer's blog, post a principal was against "playing games" in the classroom. After reading this conversation between Tom and the principal, I wanted to grab the principal by the shoulders, shake him and say, "Are you even aware of the words that are coming out of your mouth?” I am in shock by that conversation. Some people are just completely clueless to the many ways you can teach. There is not only one cookie-cutter way to learn. There are so many ways that we haven't even thought of yet. You can learn by "playing games"! It is absolutely ok to change it up from the normal paper and pencil learning.

Don't Teach Your Kids This Stuff. Please?
In this blog post by Scott McLeod, he shows the concerns of parent’s concern using computers. Although there are many things a computer can be used for, not all of the things a computer can be used for is bad. Computers can be used for all kinds of things. As parents and teachers we have to show children how to use this type of technology. Just because there is a chance that technology could be used for a wrong purpose does not mean we cut it out all together. We have to show children how to use technology and then have precautionary boundaries in place in case of wrong usage. We cannot allow ourselves to become so overly protective of our children that they just avoid technology all together. There is even more of a danger of children getting into worse things if we do not give them some sort of leave-way and trust. If we don’t give children a chance then we never give them a chance to prove us wrong.

2 comments:

  1. You understood the metaphors. But the sarcasm? I'm not sure. Dr. Mcleod's post is a sarcastic commentary on fears which are unfounded and, in fact, will undermine the chances of children who are kept from maximizing their use of technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,

    I really enjoyed reading your post and you've made some really good valid points with your summaries. I love how for your second paragraph you said, "After reading this conversation between Tom and the principal, I wanted to grab him by the shoulders, shake him and say, 'Are you even aware of the words that are coming out of your mouth?'" Because that is exactly how I felt when I read his post! I believe that students should always have fun while learning whether it is through a game, group projects, or individual work. As future educators we should always put our students first!

    ReplyDelete